The Constituency is based on the electoral area for the election of Members of Parliament (MPs) and is made up of Six branches. The CLP chooses the members from your area to represent you at annual conference and helps select the parliamentary candidate. Our CLP consists of:
- Hednesford BLP
- Heath Hayes BLP
- Norton Canes BLP
- Chadsmoor BLP
- Cannock BLP
- Rugeley BLP
Elections and Positions at Branch AGMs
The main purpose of the Branch (BLP) AGM is to elect members who will take positions within the branch. All members who are eligible to vote can also stand for positions in the branch.
The Branch (BLP) AGM also nominates members for positions at Constituency Labour Party (CLP) level. Members will need at least one nomination from a Branch (BLP) or a branch affiliated to Cannock Chase Labour (i.e. Trade Unions, SEA, Co-Op etc).
Positions in a Branch (BLP)
- Only members of the BLP can stand for a role within that BLP
- At least 50% of the 4 Executive positions must be occupied by a woman.
Executive BLP positions
- This role requires you to Chair the monthly branch meeting
- You develop the agenda alongside the Secretary
- You will ensure everyone has the opportunity to speak
- You will ensure the meeting runs to time
- You will ensure the meeting is conducted in a comradely manner
Campaigns Vice Chair:
- You will deputise in chairing meetings if the Chair is absent
- You will have the lead in the branch for campaigning activity
- There are no planned elections during this term, however you will encourage regular activity in the ward to ensure the Labour presence is visible.
- If a by-election is called in your ward, you will be the main liaison person.
- If a by-election is called in another ward, you will be expected to encourage members in your ward to help.
- Whilst there are no planned elections, we are expecting regular issue campaigns (for example the national party may decide to run a campaign on Working Tax Credits) and this may require leading on leafleting, street stalls etc.
- You will work closely with your local Labour Councillors to ensure there is regular canvassing
- You will work closely with the CLP Campaigns Vice Chair and Borough Organiser
- You will ensure the CLP Campaigns Vice Chair and Borough Organiser are aware of local issues (i.e. protests about crossings, concerns about a planning development).
- You will be the main contact for members in your BLP
- You also obtain a position on the CLP Executive Committee (EC) and the General Committee (GC) ensuring relevant information is distributed to members.
- You will organise monthly BLP meetings, ensuring minutes, agendas and motions are distributed to all members (including those not on email).
- You will work with the Chair to develop the agenda, ensuring the BLP is engaging, vibrant and exciting for members. This may include inviting guest speakers, organising a debate on a specific issue.
- You will book the room used for BLP meetings ensuring this is fully disabled access, in a part of the ward that can be easy to access for the maximum amount of members.
- You will ensure that invoices are sent at least every quarter to the CLP Treasurer and the CLP is not in debt or faced with a huge bill.
- As the only person will access to the Branch membership data you will:
- Ensure you aware of how to use Membersnet and seek training if needed
- Keep membership data safe and do not distribute this to anyone other than Cllrs.
- Always BCC members in email or use a mailing service (i.e. mailchimp)
- Carry out regular new members engagement through telephone or home visits (this can be allocated to a ward Cllr and can be done with members).
- Distribute information to members from other officers in the ward (i.e. youth officer, vice chair campaigns etc).